A first glimpse of the trip to Japan in 17 days
TRAVELLERS:Japan is possibly one of the most desired places for anyone in your life. Who has not ever dreamed of the Far East? A trip for free, with many surprises ahead. A completely different world than what we know awaits us. I'm going Isaac in company.
TRAVEL TIME: It will be of 17 days, a complete trip to enjoy the best of the island. Our trip will go from the August 1, 2008 to August 17, 2008, which are the best dates we have this year for a great trip and we endure the heat well (remember that the newspapers are updated every so often so that the information is current)
TYPE OF TRAVEL: Travel with friends. Travel for free.
ITINERARY:It will be updated in the "Travel Journal" section although the final index is as follows ...
- DAY 1: A little history of Japan
- DAY 2: This is Japan!
- DAY 3: What to visit in Kyoto
- DAY 4 (I): What to visit in Nara
- DAY 4 (II): What to visit in Osaka
- DAY 5: More places to see in Kyoto
- DAY 6: Korakuen of Okayama, Hiroshima and Miyajima
- DAY 7: Himeji and Kobe Castle
- DAY 8: What to visit in Kanazawa
- DAY 9: En route through the Japanese Alps
- DAY 10: Hakone, typical Japanese tourism
- DAY 11: Ueno-Nippori and Shibuya
- DAY 12: Marunouchi, Harajuku and Shinjuku
- DAY 13: Tokyo and Nikko fish market
- DAY 14: What to see in Kamakura and Yokohama
- DAY 15: Asakusa, Odaiba and Akasaka
- DAY 16: Shopping in Akihabara
- DAY 17: Reflections on Japan
MAIN TRANSPORTATION: The only "viable" option to travel to Japan from Spain on a 17-day trip is to do it by plane. There are many companies that fly to Japan, but they all do so by stopping in a European city: Alitalia with stopover in Milan or Rome, Air France with stopover in Paris, KLM with stopover in Amsterdam, British Airways and JAL (Japanese company Japan Airlines) with stopover in London, Finnair with stopover in Helsinki, and some others. The truth is that by this time there were no particularly good offers, possibly those of Finnair For € 950 they were the best. Then the rest of the flights were around 1100 and 1200 €. Finally it wasAir France,like last year in the trip to Mauritius (but then we had been 2 days in Paris)
SECONDARY TRANSPORTATION: Fundamental to use the trains with the bonus of 7, 14 or 21 days (ours has been the one of 14) ofJapan Rail Pass since it is the best way to get around Japan. We will also use metro, funicular, buses, boat, cable car and even helicopter (you can see our article to understand them)
ACCOMMODATIONS:They will be updated in the "Accommodations" section. There are several approaches to a trip to Japan. You can go from the vacation package of luxury hotels to the backpacker that goes to hostels. We have decided a middle term, looking for a balance and hitting a couple of whims. These are our accommodations in Japan (prices are for 2 people):
- Kyoto: We will sleep 6 nights in the famous Tour Club (You can read our REVIEW of the Tour Club), in a Japanese style room with futons and bathroom inside the room. It is very close to the Kyoto station. Its price is of 46,220 yen 6 nights without meals.
- Miyajima: Taking advantage of our arrival to the island soon we will stay in a Ryokan pimp in front of the famous Tori of the island, the Iwaso Hotel (You can read our REVIEW of the Hotel Iwaso), in a Japanese room with bathroom inside the room. Its price is of 44.400 Yen with dinner and breakfast for that night (the reservation was made by email, since the website in English did not work).
- Kanazawa: This is the hotel that has cost us the most to find but we will finally stay in a familiar and cozy ryokan for 1 night in a Japanese-style room with indoor bathroom and futons, the Nakayasu Ryokan (You can read our REVIEW of Nakayasu Ryokan). Its price is of 18,900 yen including breakfast.
- Takayama: We will also stay for 1 night and it will be at the Rickshaw Inn (You can read our REVIEW of the Rickshaw Inn), a ryokan also with Japanese-style room and indoor bathroom. Its price is 11,900 yen without meals
- Hakone: Here, as in Miyajima, we will stick one of the whims of the trip. We will stay at the Mikawaya Ryokan (You can read our REVIEW of the Mikawaya Ryokan) in a Japanese style room with outdoor bathroom on the terrace. A real pimp. Its price is of 60,300 yen including dinner and breakfast.
- Tokyo: The end of the trip will be in Tokyo for 6 days. There we will stay at the Edoya Hotel (You can read our REVIEW of Edoya Hotel), a hotel very frequented by Spaniards in the Ueno area. And once again we will do it in a Japanese type room with indoor bathroom and futons. We will finish up to the hat, hehehe. Its price for 6 days is 60,060 yen including breakfast
PASSPORT: Necessary. Valid for 6 months.
VISA: Only for more than 90 days, in our case no
ID: That we always carry it
TRAVEL INSURANCE: Never leave WITHOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE! It is an insignificant amount with respect to what it can cost you "a bad experience without insurance". We have traveled with all types of insurance although now we always travel with IATI after the good experience of the trip to Switzerland. Do not have the slightest doubt that we tell things how they happen to us, we do not want to lose the veracity of our diaries, and it also helps us to travel, so If you need insurance and you are a CHAVETAS reader, now you save 5% by clicking here (THE DISCOUNT APPLIES DIRECTLY AND IT ALREADY APPEARS IN THE PROCESS)
PRACTICAL DATA OF UTILITY:
LANGUAGE: Japanese is the official language although in English they understand you in some places and in most of the tourist places.
CURRENCY: The currency of Japan is the YEN (at the time of the trip it is around 162-166 yen per Euro)
CARDS: Credit cards can be used without problems without significant penalties
GUIDE: Again the LONELY PLANET Japan.
GUIDE CHAVETAS.ES: As in Cuba, and this time for the first time published, we are accompanied by a guide made by us that will be the basis of our trip. The information taken from everything read. ARTICLE IN CHAVETAS.ES WITH ALL DETAILS.
PHONE: Mind you, only modern 3G phones work. There are those who buy one upon arrival or rent them. Ours seems to work.
INTERNET: It works better than anywhere in the world. We even considered taking the notebook. We'll see…
SECURITY: 100% civilized country and where the crime rate is lower. No problem of robberies or crimes.
VACCINES: It is not necessary any
ELECTRICITY: The voltage is 110 V with 50 Hz in the Tokyo area and 60 Hz in Osaka and Kyoto. We must carry transformer. Flat pegs
TIME DIFFERENCE: At the time of the trip (when Japan does not change in summer) the time difference will be +7 hours
RELIGION: The most practiced is Shintoism, although there are many tendencies of Buddhism and Christianity. Even with many, they remain neutral or with a religion based on family tradition
Travel to Japan in 17 days: An approximate budget
We recently made a comparison of what a trip to Japan would mean with some wholesalers important of Spain. The conclusion was that a trip like this would cost between € 5600 and € 5800 per person. That is, almost € 12,000, a lot. In forums we have read people going to Japan for 2,500 and even € 2,000, going to shelters and taking certain measures to tighten the budget, in plan backpacker. In our case we are on the average giving us whim of some japanese dishes Also, haha. A tailor made trip. This is our budget (UPDATED WITH 2 CAPRICHOS).
|FLIGHTS SPAIN - JAPAN - SPAIN WITH AIRFRANCE (€ 920 / pers)||1.840,00 €|
|AIRPORT FEES (€ 214 / pers)||428,00 €|
|FUEL (€ 49.86 / pers)||99,72 €|
|ROOM ACCOMMODATIONS||1.651,87 €|
|JRPASS (€ 275 / pers + € 13 shipping)||563,00 €|
|MEALS (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner not included)||1.000,00 €|
|TRAVEL INSURANCE||118,01 €|
|OTHERS (Other transport, temples and various entrances, waters, ...)||1.000,00 €|
|TOTAL TRIP (2 PEOPLE)||6.700,60 €|
|TOTAL BUDGET (PER PERSON)||3.350,30 €|
Far East, dream destination. Here we go!!! Less is left!!!